Content Harry Potter Naruto

Reviews

Lufio posted a comment on Wednesday 28th March 2007 8:35am

Neat. Another chapter has been added and another installment closer to Naruto showing everyone his nindo. Really looking forward to what you'll do with the exams.

By the way, when did Lee get drunk? I've forgotten.

Viridian replied:

When they were celebrating Lee mastering his finishing move "Plant Your Opponent Like A Turnip". He accidentally got his ginger beer swapped with Gai's sake. One drink and he was a suiken whirlwind of destruction!

MrRigger posted a comment on Wednesday 28th March 2007 7:16am

I enjoyed it. Solid chapter, showing a lot of difference between what happened in canon and what happened here, but still believable. The dinner with Shino's family was interesting, and I hope we see more of them in the future. It's great how you aren't just having Naruto change his team, but the other people around him as well. You even had Sakura realize she wasn't being very nice to anybody, brushing them off for her self interest and goals above all. I take it that the conversation she was having with Ino had to do with her recent realization? If not, I'd be surprised. Maybe she was apologizing for being a jerk. Who knows? That's right, you do! I especially enjoyed the way you changed the entrance to the Exam, with Kabuto not getting the crap knocked out of him, and everyone standing up to the Sound Ninja.

The challenges were interesting, and I think both were good, but would have been better if you would have been able to include it in the chapter and combine the two.

MrRigger

Viridian replied:

Regarding the Omake... people didn't really ask about that scene/interaction until well after the story had passed that point. That's the main reason I made it a contest, rather than doing it myself - going back and editing a previously published chapter, while making such a large change, would be confusing for people.

Also, integrating them into my narrative would be taking credit for someone else's work.

 

t_gebhardt posted a comment on Wednesday 28th March 2007 7:11am

Real good chapter. Unfortunately you ended it with a real bad cliffhanger. So I hope that your muse will compel you to write the next chapter faster.

Who was it that Gaara killed? I assume that the "the faint red glare reflecting back from the dull tiles" was blood.

Viridian replied:

Nope, it was Naruto's red chakra flaring up at the threat to Hinata.

Brandon West posted a comment on Wednesday 28th March 2007 7:00am

As usual Authorlord, a damned good chapter. I liked how Shibi managed to get the position of Council member as well. That ought to make things quite a bit easier on Naruto, since I have the oddest feeling that the other idiot was on the take.

Chapter seemed a little shorter than normal, but that's probably only because there were the omakes in there as well.

Viridian replied:

Actually, it was over 11,000 words before i added in the Author notes with the Omake.

Treecat posted a comment on Wednesday 28th March 2007 6:29am

Wow, its great!
Keep on going, you have thousands of people reading your stories.

gsteemso posted a comment on Saturday 24th March 2007 2:47am

Great story! I always look forward to getting more of this one as much as I do getting more of /Nightmares of Futures Past/, which is saying something. *grin*

A comment on translation, however: You frequently refer, in this story, to "Tenketsu points." This is a redundancy in the same vein as "PIN number" -- /tenketsu/ ARE points, specifically the focal points at which more chi than usual flows. This is usually translated to English -- inadequately, because the conceptual underpinnings aren't there -- as "pressure points" or "acupuncture points."

In the context of the Narutoverse, it's probably chakra rather than chi, but the concept doesn't change. If, in your writings, you want to retain the Japanese word for flavour, it might be better to drop the "point" part and just call them "tenketsu," or perhaps "tenketsu foci" to help retain some indication of the meaning for those who are not familiar with the idea.

I decided a while back that I would eschew truly foreign words as much as possible in my own stories, because in all likelihood, most of my readers only know English. If you want to go the English-only route for "tenketsu," I suggest something like "vital points," or possibly "vital foci." Those are about as close as I can get to conveying the underlying concept, short of including a rather unfocused and rambling author's note. (As you may have gathered from this review, brevity is not one of my virtues. *wry grin*)

Looking forward to "The Next Part!"

Mark Sleeth posted a comment on Saturday 17th March 2007 3:43am

I just started chapter 1 and finished through chapter 10. I am really enjoying this story.

Naruto is one of my favorite characters and I have read all of the Manga and do not really like that they are not focusing on his character.

Even in the manga, I have really thought that there should have been more interaction between Hinata and Naruto. They are one of the good examples of when opposites should attract. There are too many examples of bad opposites in fiction that would never 'live happily ever after', but I think that this couple would.

That said, I am, even more than in the manga, NOT LIKING the rest of the Hyuuga clan. I think that Hinata should do what Shino threatened to do and dump her association with her clan. They obviously don't want her. Unfortunately, it could never happen. They would not let her out alive.

Keep up the good work. I will be watching for the next update.

MrRigger posted a comment on Monday 5th March 2007 11:08am

I hoped to see more of this story in the near future. This is the first story I've ever read in this fandom, and it seems very well written. I don't know much about all the background, and all I do know is probably outdated. However, you do a good job of relating the important information to a reader, something that's very important. I commend you and hope to see some more soon.

Jedi Buttercup posted a comment on Saturday 3rd March 2007 8:05pm

I finally went and tracked down the first twenty chapters or so of the Naruto manga online this weekend so I could have more to read after finishing the latest chapter of "HP and the Nightmares of Futures Past". I've been enjoying that one so much, I figured it would be worth burning some time learning the basics of an unfamiliar fandom to read your other work.

I'm very glad I did. This is an excellent story, and even if I haven't read enough Naruto yet to fully appreciate the AU-ness, I can still "see" the characters and enjoy what you're doing with them.

I suspect I appreciate what you're doing with Naruto in this story for much the same reason that I love Ender's Game; anyone who's ever experienced even minor shunning as a kid for native abilities that should be treated as a gift, would cheer to see him get the support he needs to flourish. The other members of his team, and their connections, are also very well textured in this story; I'll be looking forward to seeing what happens next with this almost as much as with the HP tale.

Of course, I'll also now have to download and read a bunch more Naruto. As if I needed a new fandom... *grins*

Theo posted a comment on Thursday 1st March 2007 11:07pm

I think team 8 is a great fanfic and I hope you write more soon.

xyvortex posted a comment on Tuesday 16th January 2007 1:43pm

Absolutely brilliant story, I always balk at Naruto, being a hard core HP fan but I took a chance and read Team 8. I read your first ten chapters (quite large ones) all in one go and I'm begging for more! I know it wont help to beg for an update soon, my own stories seem to take forever for an update. Still, I can't wait

Thanks again for a wonderful read

Jiapa posted a comment on Monday 15th January 2007 2:47pm

I just read the first 10 chapters of Team 8. I know nothing about the anime it's based on, but I am so fond of your writing that I read a bit about the anime on wikipedia, and dove into the story.

I am thoroughly enjoying the story -- other than some of the fighting techniques that I gloss over (just as I gloss over the fighting techniques in the anime I do watch), I don't feel like I am missing anything important in appreciating the story. Of course, I have no knowledge of where your story is AU, although from your author's notes, I assume a lot of it is.

In any case, the relationships between Naruto, Hinata and Shino are wonderful. Seeing Kurenai as a good teacher, looking out for her students, is lots of fun -- she's really good at reading people and helping them become who they can be.

I starting reading your fanfic because of your HP stories, and of course, I am looking forward to more Nightmares, but now I am looking forward to more of anything you choose to write.

Thank you for writing and sharing!

Theo posted a comment on Friday 12th January 2007 12:44am

This is great I Can't wait to read more.

Eric7 posted a comment on Friday 12th January 2007 12:23am

I Love yur story you have written it wonderfully.I am waiting for the next chapter to come out because the Chuunin exam story line is one of my favorites. Also I am kind of glad that you did not send naruto's team on the wave country Arc it sort of does not fit in. The Aburame part was interesting also it shows rare moments in a Konoha Clan besides the regular Hyugga Clan.

Sam Watts posted a comment on Thursday 4th January 2007 2:19pm

Have to say, I really like your interpretations...particularly on the growth. If only Kishimoto (that's his name, right) did some of this stuff... You hit all the good points of the manga while avoiding the parts that drag it down, such as unrealistic growth and inaccurate power representations. This series portrays the naruto-style ninjahood better than the actually series has recently.

Finbar posted a comment on Saturday 23rd December 2006 4:47am

I've only just started reading Naruto fics recently and I have to say, this one is really fantastic. I'm looking foreward to seeing where it goes. I'm hoping for a smackdown on Hiashi and the rest of the Hyuuga's, possibly public accusations of child abuse (I'd imagine that while training abuse is fine, outside of training, children would be well cared for in such a society) or more likely, and hopefully, Hinata being removed from the family, possibly to like with her Sensei, who actually gives a damm about her.
Great story!

Erik Wiggins posted a comment on Monday 18th December 2006 3:29pm

Matthew, you are a great writer. I always recommend anything you've written. I am a 40 year old male with 3 children. For 20 years, I was in a band. The band members were the same for all 20 years. I wrote many songs that I had the pleasure of listening to over the radio and in over 100 different countries. Any time I had that was free or during my travels, I read. The reason I say anything about this is to let you know who some of your readers are. As a writer (Of Lyrics and Music), I know how precious something you have created can be to you, Let me say that "Nightmare of Future's Past" is my favorite Fan Fiction and I have read a lot. I have a few author's that I like whose stories are excellent. Your story is my favorite. Please, pretty please, can you update soon? I know you do not want to force anything. I know that you want to have each update be as quality as the last, but I love this story and I need for you to finish. Everyday I look. I truly hope one day soon you continue this story. It truly is the best that FanFiction has to offer.

NeoFenrir posted a comment on Monday 18th December 2006 10:03am

Awesome chapter, like always. I really like the growing camraderie in Team 8, as well as the growth shown in Naruto's teammates.

I eagerly await the next chapter, which I hope will have Gaara. I can't wait to see what you do with him, and with Naruto's meeting with him. Their cannon encounter had Naruto making some fairly good insights into Gaara's character, and I can only imagine that'll be even more so in this fic.

So please, keep up the good work.

Stump posted a comment on Sunday 17th December 2006 11:28am

I just got finished with ur first chapter. I am excited to read more. You have done a great job. I my self have a fic in the making if ur interested.

Chris Jenks posted a comment on Wednesday 13th December 2006 6:41am

It's strange. I can't stand the Naruto anime or manga, but I'm enjoying this story a great deal. Perhaps it's just because I like Hinata more than any other characters.

On the other hand, maybe it's just that I enjoy your writing.

I'm looking forward to the next update... whenever it is.