Content Harry Potter Naruto

Reviews

Bedrup posted a comment on Tuesday 22nd April 2008 7:32am for The Slughorn that Stole Christmas

Thanks for your continued work on this excellent story.

JBern posted a comment on Tuesday 22nd April 2008 6:53am for The Slughorn that Stole Christmas

A transitional chapter and thanks for the update. I was actually disappointed. I wanted to see Harry lose his argument with Mr. Granger and I think you missed a nice opportunity for cause and effect with the Grangers taking Hermione out of school based on the insistence that she get her share of the basil-loot. There are certainly other magical schools.

It might have been interesting to see Harry's argument falter had they said they were going to send her across the pond to New Salem beginning next year or Beaxbatons. (Somewhat cliche as Hermione is always depicted as knowing fluent French.)

You had an opportunity to put Harry in a tight moral dilemma. If Hermione had gone to another magical school, she might be "safe" or at least "safer". Would Harry be fighting to keep her at Hogwarts, or would he instead simply allow her to get out of the danger zone?

The chapter was in my opinion missing Dumbledore. I would have liked to have seen make an appearance at Slughorn's party. I am rather shocked that The Grangers did not immediately contact the school about the what had happened.

Dumbledore or at least McGonagall and not Arthur Weasley should have been answering Mr. Granger's questions.

It was a good, well written chapter to be certain, but I think you went the "safe" route where you had a chance to be "bold".

Viridian replied:

 

Thanks for the review!

I did think a lot about the argument with the Grangers, and the possibility of them just sending Hermione to another school. But... that would still leave the Grangers as targets, the muggle parents of a brilliant witch. Hermione leaving Hogwarts (especiallty considering the reasons given) to attend a foreign school would be seen as besmirching Hogwarts reputation (armour proprie lives) given the British WW's attitude toward other countries. Muggle parents saying they are sending their kid to a better school abroad would be a somewhat scandalous story. When/if all hell breaks loose, the Grangers might be targeted to make a political point, or to get at Hermione - and through her, Harry.

Of course, Harry isn't going to bring any of that stuff up to Mr. Granger's face. He took a risk with the whole "Hermione didn't want you to think she was ashamed of you" angle as it was - but he did need to explain her deceptiveness.

Okay, whew. Looking up, I am reminded why this chapter took so bloody long to write.

Dumbledore didn't, as I recall, attend Horace's parties in canon. I think he prefers more subtle forms of influence-mongering.

Arthur made a pretty good impression on Mr. Granger when he defended them against 'one of his own'. That also solidified over the previous summer when their families were in almost daily contact. Given awareness of the litiginous nature of modern society, if you wanted answers, would you go to a school official (who has a lot to lose if you sue or take other actions) or the parents of another student, who seem rather well informed? It's sort of hinted at Kings Cross that the parents of all the Gryffindors had already gotten together and decided to clear the air with respect to what happened last year.

Also, I think Hermione would have been desperately unhappy, and It seems like this story has enough angst already. *grin*

 

uthamm posted a comment on Tuesday 22nd April 2008 3:59am for The Slughorn that Stole Christmas

Sweet chappie. No sugarcoating the issues that are presented with the effort to make things better. The H/G dialogue is right on the mark.

Well done!

Todd Rodgers posted a comment on Tuesday 22nd April 2008 3:28am for The Slughorn that Stole Christmas

It was wonderful to see another chapter of this, thank you! While you note that the debate with the parents was difficult, I think it was an excellent piece for Hermione's parents and shows remarkable perspective on the situation. Great work.

Eric Oppen posted a comment on Tuesday 22nd April 2008 3:22am for The Slughorn that Stole Christmas

I have to say that I can understand the Grangers' concerns. I was reading a HP/Anita Blake crossover, and Anita Blake was horrified that Harry wanted "to go back to that d*mn deathtrap masquerading as a high school."

Looks like Ron still has some of his old insecurities, doesn't it? Good thing Harry was able to reassure him that Sluggy was after him for himself. (Of course, that could be taken to mean any of several things, couldn't it? *grin*)

Ravenclawchaser68 posted a comment on Tuesday 22nd April 2008 12:28am for The Slughorn that Stole Christmas

Good chapter. I like how you're continuing to develop the characters. The Grangers' reaction to hearing about the Basilisk was good- they ought to be pretty shocked about something like that.

I'm curious about Ollivander's warning. There was a line in an earlier chapter about it being ironic that Harry dismissed the possibility of his magical core exploding, or something like that. I'm wondering if that's the danger that Ollivander is warning of.

Anyway, great job as usual. I hope the next chapter of this comes as easily as the last chapter of Team 9 seems to have. Thanks for writing!
Jay

Namizujs posted a comment on Monday 21st April 2008 10:08pm for The Slughorn that Stole Christmas

I found this site and the story by accident, but now I'm eagerly watching for news. Thanks for the new chapter, I'll need to download most of the story, so I don't loose it.

John

oldman posted a comment on Monday 21st April 2008 9:33pm for The Slughorn that Stole Christmas

Yes I like it! Yes I can see it was hard to write And Yes you have done it brilliantly.

busted posted a comment on Monday 21st April 2008 8:40pm for The Slughorn that Stole Christmas

I just wanted to quickly check if any stories I have been reading had been updated. To my surprise it was this and it was a very welcomed surprise because i love this story. I am now going to relax and enjoy the read.

david abbey1 posted a comment on Monday 21st April 2008 7:48pm for The Slughorn that Stole Christmas

when i first started reading this story in 2004 I was amazed. well written, great plot, it kept me glued to the page. I identified with the characters and became emotionally invested with them.This is the mark of a good author, and is as it should be.
My problem is, I don't want to care anymore. this is not an attack, personal or professional. its is simply a statement of fact, that you,the author,update this story so rarely that it has become painful.
I get that life interferes with art, I do. I get that sometimes the words won't come,and that writers block happens.
But at this point I am beginning to feel like a young Harry, smiling thankfully up at his aunt as she gives him his once a month piece of dry toast. and like Harry, I'm greatful. As the saying goes,like it or lump it,right?
is it sick? you bet.
Whether i need therapy is not the issue.
I can't kiss your #$% any longer and tell you how great your story is, and ask when the next chapter is going to come out.because I know when. Around the end of august, at your current speed of 3-4 chapters a year.I remember when you wrote a chapter a month. I don't want to read the multiple chapters of Nureto you will put out in the meantime,or watch the word meter at your other website for NOFP NOT move for weeks on end. Or lurk around your yahoo portal, hoping for a hand out, watching others do the same. I have other things to do.
So I must say farewell, and delete NOFP from my favorites, and history, and anywhere else it is in my computer.
because if I don't, well, I've seen what you do to people who dare to question you,or criticize your writing, or your update speed. your verbal cruelty is matched only by your fine writing style. And that would just suck me back in to this sick author,reader relationship.
Sincerly,
D

Hihavaniceda posted a comment on Monday 21st April 2008 7:31pm for The Slughorn that Stole Christmas


aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh now I can go on my holiday ....without going through withdrawals.... well worth the wait .... please post a very clear note in your blog or forum WHERE and WHEN you have uploaded all the new unbugged chapters .... I would love to reread this story (for the third time) but I will wait till the new whole story is up.

Minerva Granger posted a comment on Monday 21st April 2008 6:37pm for The Slughorn that Stole Christmas

Congratulations, I'm proud of you for getting out a new chapter. This one has opened what are promising to be some very intersting issues. PLease update soon.

Martionmanswife posted a comment on Monday 21st April 2008 5:47pm for The Slughorn that Stole Christmas

again, you have written an excellent addition to the story. I really am still truely enjoying this story. feel extremely glad that you are continuing it. Good luck.. and thank you for this journey you are taking us on. IT is a wonderous story.

Wolfric posted a comment on Monday 21st April 2008 5:23pm for The Slughorn that Stole Christmas

Fine chapter. I am always pleased to find an update from you. I wonder if Harry should figure out a preemptive strike on Umbridge? Thank you for writing. W.

Jizzle posted a comment on Monday 21st April 2008 4:48pm for The Slughorn that Stole Christmas

Comparing Lucious to a French pornographer will never get old. Not ever. Please insert this into everything you write. Even Team 8. ;)

The emotionally charged encounter with the Grangers was well done. The subtly and perfectly slipping in a moment for Augusta to shine was even better.

And well I'm not particularly fond of this Luna, she was cute and well done in this chapter. (Note: I love Luna ridiculous amounts, so not being particularly fond of this one means she's not my favorite character in this story.)

MarinePotterfan posted a comment on Monday 21st April 2008 3:45pm for The Slughorn that Stole Christmas

What a great chapter, I just hope the next chapter does not take as long as this one did. I really liked the reality of the discution at the Leaky Cauldron. I am glad they got everything worked out. I wonder why DD told Slughorn about what was in the chamber. I like the way you are taking your time with Harry and Ginny, I think Ginny is waiting for Harry to make the first move in there relationship. I know Harry is trying to seperate old Ginny from the New Ginny. But I think that this summer is going to be a big step for them. I wonder if the Tri-Wizard turnament will still go on.

Thanks for writing
MPF

Viridian replied:

Thanks for the kind words! Dumbledore has his reasons for allowing it, but remember that Slughorn arrived the year after the chamber - he might have heard about it on his own and asked Dumbledore.

Ginny and Harry are a little awkward at times, and I'll just leave it at that.

One thing to keep in mind, major events like the Tri-Wizard Tournament take years and years to plan. The initial stages probably occured before Harry even started at Hogwarts.

Kathleen posted a comment on Monday 21st April 2008 3:45pm for The Slughorn that Stole Christmas

Who would've thought Harry could change history so badly that Hermione would be pulled from school! You really had me worried there. Great chapter.

fountaam posted a comment on Monday 21st April 2008 3:18pm for The Slughorn that Stole Christmas

So happy to see another part. :)

MrRobertsIII posted a comment on Monday 21st April 2008 3:02pm for The Slughorn that Stole Christmas

Yawn. I did like your Mr. Granger, but overall this chapter was dull. More violence please.

biged78 posted a comment on Monday 21st April 2008 2:58pm for The Slughorn that Stole Christmas

Another excellent chapter. Can't wait to read more.